In the last months, no social network has been written off as often as Snapchat. Whether when Instagram copied features or Kylie Jenner complained about the update on Twitter… of course it slowed down the growth when Instagram introduced their stories and yes, also the update did not necessarily help, but considering the following aspects, these situations reveal a lot about Snapchat.
- With its functions and full-screen story format, Snapchat has introduced the current trends in social mediacommunication and made a lasting impact.
- The engagement of users is particularly strong and the critics on the update reminded me of Instagram’s logo change some time ago
The last report from Snapchat shows the positive development: the active users have increased by 9 million to 187 million. In total, 2017 saw an increase of 29 million users. Unfortunately, there are no figures for Austria yet, but for Europe: just behind the USA, with 80 million users registered, Europe follows with 60 million and 8 million more than in the previous year. Meanwhile, 3.5 billion snaps are sent daily, in 2016 it were only 2.5 billion. The daily numbers per user: 30min retention time and 25 watched snaps!
With the recent update, Snapchat has not only made it easier to find new accounts but also copied things from Instagram, such as the ability to use multiple and different fonts in the stories.
For advertisers, it is interesting that Snap Inc. now also provides all advertising formats in Europe. Including of course the “original vertical video ads”. Here’s a short movie about it:
Being on Snapchat as a brand requires a very creative social media editorial staff and a motivated, young target group. But just because the concurring communication can be difficult, you do not have to miss out communicating to a interesting, relatively young target group.
- As in Instagram stories, the ads should not be too promotional.
- Snapchat lenses and filters are exceptional and get huge attention.
- Brands can also use snapcodes that allow users to unlock hidden filters or lenses. This creates an ingenious combination of online and offline and adds exclusivity.
In addition to the major players Google (YouTube) and Facebook (Instagram), it is nice to have Snapchat as another creative and fresh Advertising Opportunity.